Posted: Jun 16, 2021 / 07:10 PM HST
Up So far: Jun 16, 2021 / 07:10 PM HST
HONOLULU (KHON2) — Six proposals have been awarded funds by way of the Hawaii Division of Agriculture’s (HDOA) Develop Hawaii Agriculture Initiative 2021 on Wednesday, June 16.
The Initiative is “Aimed in the direction of aiding established native agricultural enterprises to shortly scale up manufacturing and growing the state’s gross home product,” Based mostly on HDOA officers.
[Hawaii information on the go–Take heed to KHON 2GO weekday mornings at 7:30 a.m.]
The funds totaled $1.5 million, or $250,000 for every of the six corporations.
“This method was impressed with The regular of the 45 proposals it acquired from numerous agricultural companies. The proposals have been awarded to companies with confirmed monitor data of success and Which have demonstrated The power to significantly enhance agricultural manufacturing and increase markets for Hawaii-grown commodities.”
Phyllis Shimabukuro-Geiser, Hawaii Board of Agriculture chairperson
Honolulu Metropolis Council member Requires extra native produce at farmers markets
The corporations listed under have been every awarded $250,000 for proposed actions:
- Agrefab LLC, Oahu: Expand farm operations and scale up agricultural drying and juicing facility. Commodities: turmeric, ardour fruit, ginger, moringa, breadfruit, avocado, taro, mamaki, cassava, espresso cherry.
- Hawaiian Golden Farm, Oahu & Kauai: Expand acreage and automate farming operations. Create new worth-added merchandise for native consumption and home and worldwide export. Commodities: Okinawan candy potato, ginger, herbs, papaya.
- Kawamata Farms, LLC, Hawaii: Enlargement of hydroponic greenhouse operation To current premium ripened on-the-vine Roma tomatoes for native markets
- Mālama Kaua‘i, Kauai: Expand the Moloaʻa ‘ĀINA Center meals hub To current processing amenities, technical assist programming and increaseed aggregation/distribution providers for over 100 Kauai farmers, ranchers and meals producers. Expand worth-added manufacturing for commodities grown on Kauai.
- SK Pure Farms, LLC, Oahu: Set up a small animal harvest unit for hog farmers To deal with current chain bottlenecks and enhance native pork manufacturing.
- Zhao Produce Inc., Oahu: Enlargement of Thai and Italian basil manufacturing and creation of worth-added merchandise for export to U.S. Mainland and Canada markets.
Hawaii Agriculture Dept. eradicating coqui frog infestation in Waimanalo
The awards Received based on agricultural operations demonstrating enterprise success and being in want of pressing funding to increase their enterprise manufacturing. Standards for the awards additionally included the institution of a enterprise mannequin that effectively contributes to The expansion of agriculture in Hawaii.