Tallahassee, Fla. — This week, Agriculture Commissioner Nikki Fried held a collection of occasions throughout Florida saying the Florida Division of Agriculture and Shopper Providers (FDACS) Office of Agricultural Water Coverage Clear Water Initiative, updating and strengthening the Division’s water insurance coverage policies To raised shield the state’s pure assets. At stops in Fort Myers, Sarasota, Tampa, St. Pete, and Stuart, Commissioner Fried met with scientists, environmental advocates, And native elected officers to roll out The mannequin new initiative and To debate The numerous factors dealing with Florida’s waterways from coast to coast, collectively with purple tide, blue-inexperienced algae blooms, doc manatee deaths, and the Piney Level phosphogypsum spill.
“From starting at zero As quickly as I acquired here into office to the place We’re with the announcement of our Clear Water Initiative this week, We now have come An prolonged Method to make these landmark modifications, And that i even Want to thank my group for Engaged on this for the previous two and a half years to get us to The objective we At the second are,” Commissioner Fried said. “We are rewriting The guidelines When it Includes agricultural water policy Inside the state, taking landmark movement To enhance accountability, transparency, and coordination. Our work Isn’t carried out, however I am proud that We’re standing up and taking concrete movement To promote clean water in our state when no completely different Division has.”
As An factor of its Clear Water Initiative, the FDACS Office of Agricultural Water Coverage (OAWP) is:
- Updating Florida’s Agricultural Biggest Administration Practices (BMPs) with The latest evaluation, knowledge, and utilized sciences out there;
- Prioritizing extreme-worth tasks Contained in the worth-Share program to get The best bang for the buck as our farmers proceed to make use of extra environment nice nutrient and water utilization practices as stewards of the land;
- Supporting multi-faceted practices Similar to cowl crops and no till drills that current vital local climate mitigation and carbon sequestration advantages;
- Conducting in-particular person website visits in cooperation with our agricultural stakeholders pretty than Counting on voluntary self-reporting When it Includes compliance;
- Working with producers on corrective movement plans and referring circumstances of non-compliance to the Florida Division of Environmental Safety for enforcement;
- Amassing and aggregating detailed data of the dietary vitamins being utilized by agricultural producers on the manufacturing panorama; and
- Growing transparency and coordination with The general public, stakeholders, the agriculture enterprise, and our agency companions by way of enhanced education and teaching outreach, collectively with in-particular person and on-line assets.
The FDACS Office of Agricultural Water Coverage works with agricultural producers, enterprise groups, the Florida Division of Environmental Safety, the college system, and the Florida water management districts to develop and implement Agricultural best management practices (BMPs) addressing each water extreme quality and water conservation. BMPs are sensible, value-efficient movements that agricultural producers can take to protect water and scale again The quantity of pesticides, fertilizers, animal waste, and completely different pollution Getting into our water assets. The up So far manuals Shall be particular personly launched as Every one is accomplished.