Waimea-based mostly Kawamata Farms recently recevied 1 / 4 million dollars from the state to increase operations On the hydroponic greenhouse farm.
The state Division of Agriculture introduced June 16 it has awarded funds To six proposals totaling $1.5 million beneath the Develop Hawaii Agriculture Initiative 2021, a program Aimed in the direction of aiding set uped native agricultural enterprises to shortly scale up manufacturing and growing the state’s gross home product.
“This method was impressed with The regular of the 45 proposals it acquired from numerous agricultural companies,” said Phyllis Shimabukuro-Geiser, chairperson of the Hawaii Board of Agriculture. “The proposals have been awarded to companies with confirmed monitor data of success and Which have demonstrated The power to significantly enhance agricultural manufacturing and increase markets for Hawaii-grown commodities.”
Kawamata Farms, which produces tomatoes and cucumbers, will use its $250,000 to increase its hydroponic greenhouse operation To current premium ripened on-the-vine Roma tomatoes for native markets.
Consideration for the awards was based mostly on agricultural operations Which have demonstrated enterprise success and have been in want of pressing funding to increase their enterprise manufacturing and Which have set up enterprise fashions Which will effectively contribute to The enlargement of agriculture Inside the state.
This initiative is a collaboration with the College of Hawaii at Manoa School of Tropical Agriculture and Human Assets. Funds for this program have been currentd by the 2020 state Legislature.
Additionally receiving $250,000 have been:
• Hawaiian Golden Farm on Oahu and Kauai to increase acreage, automate the farming operation and create new worth-added merchandise for native consumption and home and worldwide export.
• Zhao Produce Inc. on Oahu to increase Thai and Italian basil manufacturing and create worth-added merchandise for export to the U.S. mainland and Canada.
• SK Pure Farms LLC on Oahu To decide a small animal harvest unit for hog farmers To deal with current chain bottlenecks and enhance native pork manufacturing.
• Agrefab LLC on Oahu to increase farm operations and scale up an agricultural drying and juicing facility for commodities like turmeric, ardour fruit, ginger, moringa, breadfruit, avocado, taro, mamaki, cassava, And occasional cherry.
• Malama Kauai on Kauai to increase the Moloa‘a ‘AINA Center meals hub To current processing amenities, technical assist programming and increaseed aggregation/distribution providers for over 100 Kauai farmers, ranchers and meals producers.