/MT Dept. of Agriculture shares best practices for hay shipments to prevent noxious weeds and pests

MT Dept. of Agriculture shares best practices for hay shipments to prevent noxious weeds and pests

As Montana agricultural producers try To Search out enough feed for livestock all by way of extreme drought circumstances and A dangerous wildfire season, the Montana Division of Agriculture (MDA) is issuing steerage for out-of-county or state shipments of hay To cease the unfold of noxious weeds and completely different invasive pests.

“The want for hay far outweighs our current proper now in Montana,” said Appearing Director Christy Clark. “We acknowledge The Need to Search out hay for our producers, however there Might be some very critical penalties if we don’t do our due diligence in Making sure that hay donations and shipments from completely different states aren’t bringing weeds and bugs That are not presently current in Montana with them.”

Hay being transported from completely different states and counties has the potential to introduce or unfold noxious and invasive weed species, insect pests, and plant illnesses. Use The subsequent biggest administration practices to mitigate And cease their introduction and unfold:

Ask the place the hay was grown/donated from, and use licensed weed free forage, if out there

Feed hay in an space That Can be simply monitored For mannequin spanking new weeds for a quantity of years

Coordinate Collectively with your native weed district or MSU Extension office To watch spaces and decide unknown weeds and pests

Management weeds earlier than they produce seed, and defer shifting livestock by way of any space with A mannequin new weed species till It is eliminated or contained.

The MDA Noxious Weed Program Is out there To assist producers Of their choice To make the most of hay from out of state. Please contact Jasmine Reimer, 406-444-3140, for extra information.

The Montana Division of Agriculture is serving Montana Agriculture and rising prosperity beneath The huge Sky. For extra information on department packages and providers, go to agr.mt.gov.