Ames, IA — The Agricultural Genome to Phenome Initiative has awarded 9 grants to 27 institutions Inside the third and final spherical of enterprise seed grant rivals.
The Agricultural Genome to Phenome Initiative, A 3-yr enterprise ending in 2023, is funded by the U.S. Division of Agriculture’s Nationwide Institute of Meals and Agriculture. The objective of AG2PI is To join crop and livestock scientists To at least Every completely different and to these working in knowledge science, statistics, engineering and social sciences to decide shared factors and collaborate on options.
The awarded tasks assist advance multidisciplinary crop and livestock evaluation by tackleing genome-to-phenome challenges, creating options for evaluation infrastructure wants, or sharing options throughout kingdoms.
The seed grant tasks awarded in Round 3 will run from 6 to 12 months and span three funding levels:
- Rising grants, funded As a lot as $50,000, broaden interactions and synergies throughout communities and group varieties
- Enabling grants, funded As a lot as $75,000, enlarge the scope of or further develop an current enterprise
- Establishing grants, funded As a lot as $100,000, current assist in the direction of sustainable AG2P evaluation and engagement.
Two of The mannequin new grants, which assist essential wants in evaluation knowledge administration and standardization, contain Iowa State College school.
An enabling-diploma grant, “Making a great Data Ecosystem for Incorporating Single Cell Genomics Data into Agricultural G2P Research” is a enterprise led by Christopher Tuggle, professor Inside the Division of Animal Science, Iowa State College. The worldwide group embraces: Christine Elsik, College of Missouri; Peter Harrison, EMBL-European Bioinformationrmatics Institute, Cambridge, UK; Nicholas Provart, College of Toronto; and collaborators Tony Burdett, EMBL-European Bioinformationrmatics Institute; Tim Tickle, the Broad Institute of MIT and Harvard; Marc Libault, College of Nebraska-Lincoln; Wes Warren, College of Missouri; Ben Cole, Lawrence Berkeley Nationwide Laboratory; and James Koltes, Iowa State.
By way of deep worldwide collaboration, the enterprise goals to create an agricultural equal to the Human Cell Atlas Data Coordination Platform (HCA DCP), Which might enhance The current of RNA single-cell knowledge sequencing output to crop and livestock evaluationers. The enterprise will current teaching to early profession scientists beneath Tuggle’s and Elsik’s advisement, who Shall be working immediately with scientists at HCA DCP and look ating the agricultural metaknowledge requirements for usability.
An emerging-diploma grant, led by Hao Cheng On the College of California-Davis, furtherly embraces ISU school As properly as to worldwide collaborators. Tuggle and Distinguished Professor Jack C.M. Dekkers, furtherly Inside the ISU Division of Animal Science, are co-investigators; collaborators Richard Mott and Lingzhao Fang, each based mostly Inside The united kingdom, spherical out the group members. The enterprise, “Homomorphic Encryption to Allow Sharing of Confidential Data,” will look at and consider an strategy That permits a quantity of evaluationers to entry and analyze encrypted knowledgesets whereas defending mental property and making sure Truthful (Findable, Accessible, Interoperable, and Reusable) knowledge use guidelines.
Other enterprise groups receiving AG2PI Round 3 seed grants embrace:
- Understanding Emergent Agricultural Phenomena By way of Huge Data Analytics: Creating Frameworks for Understanding Using Physics-guided Machine Studying and Agent-based mostly Fashions: Michael Kantar, College of Hawaii; Diane Wang, Purdue College; Bryan Runck, College of Minnesota; Barath Raghavan, College of Southern California; Adam Streed, Center for Digital Agriculture; Patrick Ewing, North Central Agricultural Research Lab
- An AI Toolkit for Video Phenotyping in Livestock: Samantha Brooks, Madelyn Smythe, Kyle Allen, Adam Biedrzycki, João Bittar, College of Florida
- Leveraging Single-cell Genomics in QTL Mapping: Susanta Kumar Behura, Jarad Egan Decker, College of Missouri
- Standardizing Data Management and Terminology for Elevated Adoption of Digital Fence Methods: Jameson Brennan, Logan Vandermark, Krista Ehlert, Hector Menendez, South Dakota State College; Ryan Reuter, Oklahoma State College; Mitchell Stephenson, College of Nebraska-Lincoln; Dana Hoag, Colorado State College, Paul Meiman, College of Nevada-Reno; Joslyn Beard, College of Arizona; Rory Charles O’Conner, USDA-ARS
- A Genetic Data Portal to Allow Discovery of Deleterious Genetic Variants in Farmed Animals: Theodore Kalbfleisch, College of Kentucky
- Using Unmanned Aerial Automobiles to Detect Nitrogen Stress in Alfalfa: Anju Biswas, Esteban F. Rios, Aditya Singh, College of Florida
- Developing Education, Research and Extension Training on Precision Agriculture Phenotyping Devices at HBCU: Jingqiu Chen, Violeta M. Tsolova, Florida A&M College; Wei-zhen Liang, College of Nebraska-Lincoln; Jian Jin, Purdue College.
For extra information on All of the awarded AG2PI seed grants As properly as to completely different grant alternatives, go to the webpage: https://www.ag2pi.org/seed-grants/.
The AG2PI is funded by the U.S. Division of Agriculture’s Nationwide Institute of Meals and Agriculture. The objective of AG2PI is To assemble communities that tackle the challenges of genome-to-phenome evaluation throughout crops and livestock. The AG2PI companions embrace Iowa State College, College of Nebraska, College of Arizona, College of Idaho and the Iowa Corn Promotion Board.