The 2021 Worth-Added Excursions Shall be launched by the Expert Dairy Producers Oct. 13 and 14. The tours function 5 farms with numerous approaches and value streams When it Includes retail gross sales, on-farm course ofing and capturing value from methane, manure or completely different byproducts.
Retail gross sales, on-farm course ofing and capturing value from methane, manure or completely different byproducts are A pair of of the Methods in which dairy farms are including value streams to their opperiodtions. Understanding the decisions, markets, legal guidelines and challenges for The numerous decisions out there Is The first step for producers as they consider alternatives.
The PDPW Worth-Added Dairy Excursions will give tour attfinishees behind-the-scenes go tos To 5 dairy farms Which have effectively diversified their opperiodtions, As properly as to panel dialogues with the farmers. The tour Shall be held Wednesday, Oct. 13, and Thursday, Oct. 14. On each days, the tour will depart from Kewaunee at 9 a.m. and return by 4 p.m. on Oct. 13 and 4:30 p.m. on Oct. 14.
“Right now’s producers have extra decisions than ever earlier than to create new value streams For his or her dairy farm, however every alternative requires evaluation, planning and an understanding of the market,” said Katy Schultz, PDPW president and dairy producer from Fox Lake. “Studying from completely different dairy farmers and enterprise professionals about what alternatives Might Even be Definitely one of the biggest Slot in your opperiodtion Might Supply you a head start as You start the planning course of.”
On The primary day, tour stops will embrace:
• Ebert Enterprises, a sesventh period dairy, beef and cropping farm in Algona. The Ebert household has labored To finish the circle from farm to shopper all inside their county with the addition of Salmon’s Meat Merchandise, A longtime retail and wholesale smoked-meat products enterprise, a meat harvest facility adjoining to the farm, and Homestead Kitchen & Faucet, a farm-to-desk minded restaurant.
• A rounddesk dialogue Shall be held over lunch.
• A go to with brcompletely differents Tony and Jacob Brey and their wives Moriah and Lauren, Who’ve grown Brey Cycle Farm in Door County from 100 registered Holstein cows to Greater than 600. They’ve additionally added an on-farm beef retailer that consists of Brey Family Beef. As a founding member of Peninsula Satisfaction Farms, the household May even be focused on sustainability.
On the second day, tour stops will embrace:
• Grotegut Dairy Farm Inc. in Newton, A third-period dairy farm That is house to Greater than 3,100 dairy cows. Since 2009, the farm has opperiodted manure digesters, and in 2019, Grotegut Dairy partnered with DTE Biogasoline Power to “clear” and convert methane gasoline created from the farm’s manure into Renewable Pure Gas, which is injected Proper into a natural gasoline line.
• The farmstead cheese opperiodtion at Pagel’s Ponderosa, Kewaunee. It makes award-worthwhile cheese solely with milk from the 5,500 cows from their dairy farm. They current Pretty a Little bit of cheese spreads, pizzas and block cheeses Collectively with their Ponderosa Farmstead cheese line. As properly as, manure is transformed into compressed natural gasoline which is moved by way of trailer and injected Proper into an interstate pipeline in Newton.
• Kinnard Farms in Casco, which is partnered with Detroit Edison and REV-LNG To assemble and opperiodte a methane digester that produces renewable natural gasoline and produces enough energy to offset the energy use of Greater than 10,000 households. The enterprise is designed with a 30-day manure retention time, which reduces pathogen content material and odor of reprimarying manure dietary vitamins. The dairy Even started working its “Calf Depot” nursery for calves from delivery by way of Day 3 earlier than They’re transported to The Heifer Authority in Colorado.
Registration embraces bus journey, refreshments and lunch. To study extra Regarding the 2021 PDPW Worth Added Dairy Excursions and to register, go to www.pdpw.org or contact PDPW at 1-800-947-7379.