Harrisburg, PA – Right now, Agriculture Secretary Russell Redding introduced the opening of the 2021-22 PA Farm Invoice’s $500,000 Farm To Highschool Grant Program To reinforce entry to healthful, native meals and enhance agriculture education alternatives For youthfulsters pre-kindergarten by way of fifth grade.
“Our Farm To Highschool Program works To reinforce well being and vitamin for youthful youthfulsters, current palms on ag education alternatives, and assist native farmers by fostering connections between schools and farms,” said Redding. “Through this program, Pennsylvania schools have The prospect To deal with our workforce wants of The Prolonged time period by encouraging agricultural pursuits in youthful college students whereas concurrently enhancing their entry to current, native meals.”
Over the previous two years, the Wolf Administration has invested almost $800,000 in farm to school programming in Pennsylvania by way of the Pennsylvania Farm Invoice. (2019 awards, 2020 awards)
The Farm To Highschool Grant Program goals To enrich the connection communities have with current, healthful meals And native producers by altering meals buying for and education practices at schools and early childhood education websites.
Any school district, structure school, or particular personal school with pre-kindergarten packages, kindergarten, or elementary by way of fifth grade – Regardless of offering in-particular person, digital, or hybrid instruction fashions – is eligible To use for As a lot as $15,000. Eligible purposes ought to embrace:
- An inventory of Pennsylvania farmers Who’ve agreed To current merchandise from their farms;
- Nutrition and agriculture education, collectively with integration into common classroom subjects;
- Teaching of practiceers and fullly different instructional staff on vitamin and agriculture education;
- Inclusion Of mom and father, caregivers, and group teams in instructional actions; and
- Area journeys to Pennsylvania farms or fullly different direct agricultural experiences which practice youthfulsters about sources of meals and Pennsylvania agriculture.
The 2021-22 Farm To Highschool program opened for purposes on August 16 and the deadline To use is October 1, 2021.
For extra Particulars Regarding the Pennsylvania Farm Invoice, a full set of programming and funding To revenue Pennsylvania’s $132.5 billion agriculture enterprise, go to agriculture.pa.gov/pafarmbill.
MEDIA CONTACT: Shannon Powers – [email protected]